Sunday 15 January 2012

CCS & CardioRespiratory 3

After a short 2 week winter break, which basically involved me gaining 2kg of Christmas and New Years weight... we started the year bright and early (3rd Jan!!) with Cardiorespiratory (CR) teaching!

- this was extremely intense! perhaps the toughest week i've had in terms of the amount of lectures we had to sit through since starting medical school. It was spread out over 5 days, with 33 lectures to be covered... 4 of which was done over that week.. and the last one .. i have tomorrow.


The amount of lectures wasn't the hard bit, but more to do with the content.....
...this is where i admit.. i HATE ECGs! I find them so difficult, and i get a tad depressed when people around me are shouting out "It's a right bundle branch block", "Supraventricular blah blah" .... when im still looking at the rhythm strip bit to work out the rate > .< ...*sigh*...this will take a lot of practice! The picture below depicts it will:

Sadly...time is limited.. as i'm let loose on my Cardio firm this Tuesday!

Last week we also had CCS and i fail to remember what it stands for.. but i think its clinical and communication skills - possibly? This had a good mix of communication skills practice with interpreters and difficult racist patients, but also a bit of clinical skills (my favourite part)!

We worked on these simulation manikin sort of things.. i can't really describe it.. i wish i took a photo, but they were essentially manikins, wired up to a computer.. you can take vital signs like it's pulse and breathing rate, a blood pressure, sats and even do an ABG, and then administer o2 etc and access the patient's response. It was pretty cool actually!!

3 comments:

Grumpy Biomed said...

Is CCS the one that takes place in the Robin Brook Centre? I think I saw someone's old notes for it lying around there the other day...best of luck with the new CR module!

I've never had to interpret an ECG (well I'm fairly sure I could interpret a flatline), but don't get depressed about it, like all other horrible things (biochem, histopath, etc) it'll fall into place eventually. You've done brilliantly up til now and I'm sure you'll continue to do so.

Tofu said...

grumpy! yep CCS is the one at the robin brook centre!! Never knew you guys use the robin brook too, are you guys not based at charter square?

thanks for the cheering up.. ECGs are still a pain to read.. especially on wards rounds.. but slowly slowly... :)

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!